Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Apple Orchard

One of the parents in the kids' school put together a field trip to the apple orchard. We had never been, so we were so glad that we were able to make it. We drove about 45 minutes south to a really fun orchard. The kids got to pick apples, go on a tour, and learned so much. Did you know that there are like 65 different types of apples? This particular orchard had 7,000 trees and every spring they bring in about 400,000 bees to help pollinate them. It was really fun. It was also beautiful there. The Fall colors are really starting to show on all the trees.

The kids really enjoyed everything there. They had farm animals and some pretty cool swings and then they had this slide. Thomas said it looked like it was made from some storm drain pipes. It was pretty tall, but there was NO curve at the bottom. So, you always knew when someone came down, 'cause we could hear a "OH!" Then they would come out holding their backs saying how it hurt, but 2 seconds later went running back up to go again. It really was hilarious!!

I've never in my life had an apple dumpling before, and for some reason, I thought they were noodly like chinese dumplings. Anyways, I bought a couple of pans from them, and I have died and gone to Heaven! WOW! They were awesome! We also got some fresh apple cider which tastes like you're biting into an apple. YUMMY! We've decided that we need to take Thomas down there in the next week or so, just so we can get some more.


1 comment:

the Corbin Clan said...

I'm so sad I missed it now! Jerod had a bad night and slept in later, then I wasn't looking forward to the long drive... but now I wished I would have sucked it up and gone. It looks like you guys had a lot of fun. Please don't "uninvite" to anything else we do because I didn't go to this one. I promise I'll be better and go! :)