Thursday, December 11, 2008

New Adventures....Here We Come!!




I have been struggling with the fact that the kids might have to move a few times before we are finished with Thomas' schooling. They haven't really had a hard time adjusting, it is probably just me wanting the best for them, and not wanting to put them through any more challenges than I have to. We have been trying to decide if I should stop watching kids & move into a cheaper place, so that I won't have to feel like I am completely ignoring them and not involved in their lives anymore. Out here, homeschooling is all the rage! Well, there was just no way I could handle doing something like that. I am in no way qualified to put a curriculum together for 4, and soon 5 different grade levels. BUT, in my searching I found a public school, here in Indiana, called Hoosier Academy (clickable link). It is a charter school run or funded by Ball State University. It is sort of a hybrid home school meets traditional brick and mortar school. And, because it is a public school it is FREE!

At this Hoosier Academy (clickable link), they use the K12 Curriculum, which is a well known homeschooling curriculum. The kids will attend school at the Learning Center in Indianapolis 2 full days a week from 8:30a - 4:30p. Then for the other 3 days, they will complete their lessons online & offline from home. They would just need to log a total of 11 hours for those 3 days. AND they could do this whenever they wanted, any day or time of day, just as long as they got their lessons done before they had to go in to the Learning Center. The school provides a computer, printer and reimbursement for internet access, and all books and supplies. They were tested for placement, and they are allowed to place students 2 grades above or below where they should be according to age. They all did a little above grade level, except Harly, who techically is in 1st grade. She tested well into the 2nd grade curriculum. So that's the curriculum that she will be doing. Aspen was just a tad bit behind in Math, so we decided to put her in the 5th grade math, even though technically she is in 6th grade. That way she can make sure to have a good math foundation before she gets to all the hard stuff. The program is easily adjusted, they can be doing 2 different grade levels in 2 different subjects. It's just so personalized.

I've been able to get a look at their lessons online, and I am so impressed! The things they will be learning in History and Art have got me super excited. I was a little overwhelmed at first, but then I found out that they do ALL of their History and Art at the learning center. So, now I don't have to teach them that at home. WHEW! Plus, all of Aspen's Composition class will be at the learning center also! So, I basically help them with their Math and Language Arts.

The lessons are all easily followed online, and there is a lot to do offline as well. I have a Teacher's Guide to follow, and it basically gives me their lessons word for word. I am also really impressd with the curriculum because they will not be "taught to the test." They do have to go on one extra website for about 30 min. a day, and that is where they will practice the standards for the state testing.

My searching for this started when the kids were out of school with their tonsils. The make-up work sent home for a 2 week period of missed school was completed in 1 maybe 1 1/2 days!! What in the world are they doing all day in school? Certainly NOT a whole lot of class work. Plus, since they ride the bus out here, they are gone from a little before 8am, and don't get home till after 4. That makes for a long day, every day! I have also learned that they were only getting ONE recess, and that recess was given at the END of the day. They didn't even get a break at lunch. They would eat lunch, and then go right back to class! Thomas and I thought that was so cruel!

I am loving this idea! This way, when we have to move to go to Purdue, the kids can still attend this academy, I will just have to drive them in to Indy twice a week. No biggie to me! PLUS, if we do get our DREAM job with the Foreign Service, we can just keep going with the K12 curriculum on a private basis, so that the kids don't ever have to interrupt their learning. I am so excited about this program, and just wanted to share! They said they have these K12 public programs, which basically means "Paid by your tax dollars", all over the country. So, there just may be one in your area!!!

I know they have one in Vegas, but it done ALL at home. There is no Learning Center that they would be able to go to twice a week. I'm pretty sure that this school here is a new concept, that isn't done in other places. I am, so far, impressed with the K12 curriculum.

So, Thomas dropped them off this morning while I was getting some nerve blocks. I'll update when they get home and let everyone know how it went! He said they were all excited when they got there. Ryker and Harley are in the same class, and I guess they walked in and sat right next to each other. So cute!!

Well, check back later!!

1 comment:

Apron Appeal said...

I really want to go up and see the school. On paper it's everything I could hope for. You MUST keep us updated on what your kiddos think. I'm almost positive Riley will be attending next fall. I am just trying to convince him of the same.

HEY...what are the class sizes? Do the classrooms look like classrooms or conference rooms? Do they have a cafeteria and playground?

Gwen